Noughts + Crosses: An Alternate Story about Europe's Colonization by Africa





I should have written a blog entry when I first found out about this. 

For many years, the only story that I was familiar with in dealing with the reversal of race relations was Lion's Blood. There are some exceptions, such as White Man's Burden and an obscure television play in the 20th Century. None of them have ever been brought to significant attention in contemporary popular culture and/or academic research. If any attention is given, it is usually labeled in the category of "there-was-an-attempt". Even after waiting and waiting for Steven Barnes's main series to continue, I didn't think that anyone else would write a similar story. 

I was wrong.




Earlier in the year, I discovered that a television series called Noughts + Crosses will be broadcast in the U.K. on BBC One. The show is based on a series of books of the same name written by Malorie Blackman. Based on what I've heard and read, the program takes place in a present-day alternate Britain where Africans colonized Europe in the past. From the moment I knew what it was about, I was surprised and very curious. I am happy that this type of alternate history from an Afrocentric viewpoint is being given enough attention. I only wish that the same could be given to Lion's Blood

Unfortunately, I cannot see the show since it is only available to view in Britain. Although I am currently not interested in reading the books, I will definitely watch in on television when I have the chance. The Wikipedia entry for the books and television show already give some detail to the reader about the story. I wonder how different the rest of the world is. In Lion's Blood, the main focus was in the New World. I've always thought about how Europe would be. Perhaps this new show could give me some idea of what Europe would be like under an African influence, even if there is a difference of time (19th Century compared to 21st Century). Will Islam also be featured? How about Christianity's role in this world?

Someday, I will find out...


If the reader is interested in her books, please check out the author's website here:

Comments

Popular Posts